Submit cosmetic product notifications
Notify the Office for Product Safety and Standards (OPSS) about cosmetic products available to consumers in Great Britain (GB).
What you need to do
You need to notify OPSS about every cosmetic product available to consumers in GB.
What you will need to tell OPSS
You will need to tell OPSS:
- what is in the cosmetic product, including certain nanomaterials
- the name and details of a contact person for the National Poisons Information Service, or Trading Standards, to get in touch with
- who the ‘responsible person’ is
The ‘responsible person’ is the individual or company responsible for ensuring the regulations are followed. Every cosmetic product placed on the GB market must have a responsible person.
How to tell the OPSS what’s in the cosmetic product
How you do this depends on whether the product was notified with the EU.
Cosmetic products notified with the EU before 1 January 2021
You can upload the data from your EU notification. You’ll need to:
- export your data as a ZIP file for each notification – the EU’s Cosmetic Products Notification Portal (CPNP) allows you to do this
- upload the ZIP files – you can upload 100 files at a time
The ZIP files will not include:
- the formulation of the product if it was an attached document – you must provide this separately as a PDF, RTF or TXT file
- any images – you’ll need to provide them for products notified after 31 December 2020
- details of any nanomaterials in the product
Cosmetic products not notified with the EU
You’ll need to enter information about the product manually.