COMMISSION REGULATION (EU) 2015/1190 of 20 July 2015
amending Annex III to Regulation (EC) No 1223/2009 of the European Parliament and of the Council on cosmetic products
The European Commission has published a new Regulation, Commission Regulation 2015/1190, which amends the Cosmetic Products Regulation 2009.
Regulation 2015/1190 states that the use of hair-waving or straightening products and eyelash-waving products containing thioglycolic acid, or its salts, at concentrations up to 11 % can only be used by professionals. The Regulation also lists a number of dyes, and their maximum concentrations, for use in hair-care products. These are (maximum concentration in parentheses):
- 3-[(4-amino-3-methyl-9,10-dioxo-9,10-dihydroanthracen-1-yl)amino]-N,N,N -trimethylpropan-1-aminium, methylsulfate salt, HC Blue No 17 (2.0 %)
- Phosphoric acid compound with 4-[(2,6-dichlorophenyl) (4-imino-3,5-dimethyl-2,5-cyclohexadien-1-ylidene) methyl]-2,6-dimethylaniline (1:1), HC Blue No 15 (0.2 %)
- Disodium 2,2′-(9,10-dioxoanthracene-1,4-diyldiimino)bis(5-methylsulphonate), Acid Green 25 (0.3 %)
- Sodium, 4-[(9,10-dihydro-4-hydroxy-9,10-dioxo-1-anthryl)amino]toluene-3-sulphonate, Acid Violet 43 (0.5 %)
- 1,4-Benzenediamine, 2-(methoxymethyl) &1,4-Benzenediamine, 2-(methoxymethyl)-, sulfate (1.8%)
- 1-N-Methylmorpholiniumpropylamino-4-hydroxyanthraquinone, methyl sulfate (0.5 %)
- Ethanol, 2,2′-[[3-methyl-4-[(E)-(4-nitrophenyl)azo]phenyl]imino]bis-, Disperse Red 17 (0.2 %) • 4-Amino-5-hydroxy-3-(4-nitrophenylazo)-6-(phenylazo)-2,7-naphthalenedisulfonic acid, disodium salt, Acid Black 1 (0.5 %)
- Disodium 3-hydroxy-4-[(E)-(4-methyl-2-sulfonatophenyl)diazenyl]-2-naphthoate, Pigment Red 57 (0.4 %)
A further Regulation was published subsequently which removes 3-Benzylidene Camphor, a UV filter and absorber, from Annex VI of the Cosmetic Products Regulation 2009. Laboratories testing these products on behalf of manufacturers and regulators will need to have validated procedures in place to measure these substances at the appropriate concentrations with an acceptable measurement uncertainty.